Saturday, December 3, 2011

Tasty Tuesday - Earthquake Cake

So I'm gonna try and dedicate Tuesdays to delicious recipes I've made. I'll start today's with a favorite among my friends and family... Earthquake Cake! I originally got the recipe from Charlie's mom back in 2008. It's my go to recipe for pot lucks, and I make it so often I'm now asked to make it for every party and just out of the blue. It's ridiculously easy. First, let's gather up some ingredients.

I noticed when I just uploaded this that I'm missing the cream cheese and margarine in this picture lol. So please go by the list and not the picture.

Ingredients:
1 box German Chocolate cake mix (and whatever ingredients it calls for)
Flaked coconut
Chopped nuts of choice (I always use walnut)
1/4 margarine
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 16oz. box of powered sugar

Now, lets make the batter according to the directions on the box.

Make sure you preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray some Pam on a 13x9 glass pan. Cover the bottom of the pan with nuts and coconut. I always eyeball this part, you can also skip this step if there's allergies involved. I've done it and it's still delicious.

Pour the cake batter over the coconut and and nuts. Melt your margarine in a bowl. Add the cream cheese and powdered sugar. I usually just use the beater to make sure it blends good, but the recipe says you can just stir it with a spoon. 

Now the fun part, spoon the icing over the unbaked batter and bake for 40-42 min.

This is a pretty sticky cake, so there's no sense in checking for doneness. The icing gonna sink to the bottom  while baking and makes a gooey ribbon of deliciousness throughout the cake.

Mmmm!
I'm really looking forward to the little man getting big enough to help make this cake since there's no pressure on the presentation part lol. Until then, I'll just give him an extra beater to check out.
<3! It's gonna be so fun when he actually has yummy stuff to lick off.

The next step is to simply enjoy!

And one more thing, I would hide it from your significant other. If not, this is what you might wake up to the next morning...
Lol, he could've at least washed it!







No comments:

Post a Comment